Sunday, July 21, 2013

Tributes, Eulogies, Honors and A Few Chuckles

“In Loving Memory…”  “Beloved Wife…” “…Husband…” “…Daughter…”  “…Son…” have been as constant greetings as an old, abandoned billboard along a lonely stretch of rarely used road.

Every now and again, tramping over areas of the garden the pups and I seldom tromp over, I’ll come across chiseled messages that inspire the soul, generate a prayer, cause a poignant tear, or spout a generous guffaw that will last all the way home.  I like those best.  People who rest in the gardens usually died with a good sense of humor; it is too bad that such sentiments cannot be carved into headstones or name plates that indicate the decease’s tendency to laugh at a funny situation a friend gets himself into, or giggle like children after a practical joke or an out of place pun.

The most common messages show devotion to God by the grave’s resident.  I don’t mind those, since I often read scriptures.  But sometimes I wonder if the person under the sod really went to church every Sunday, or if it is a case where the family only offers the appearance of piety when the occupant occasionally held the Good Book let alone read any of it.

On this evening’s walk, I made a concerted effort to look for the unusual, the heart-wrenching, the profound, the silly, and even the hilarious.  Here is my banquet of the sublime and the puerile, which may have fit the lodger both in age and action.

On one long married couple, on the back side of their headstones, family had added sayings which I believed showed the common sense of the dad and the loving sweetness of the mom.  His said, “Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without.”  On her side it read, “God couldn’t be everywhere, so he created mothers.”

On another couples’ stone was something more touching:  “May the God of hope fill you with all the joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13.  Like I said, scriptures are popular, such as ‘Oh that you would rend the Heavens…” Isaiah 64:1 or my personal favorite from Luke 24:5 “Why do you seek the living among the dead?”

Better yet are the ironic sayings that usually the people ordering the stone didn’t quite get.  The one which caught my attention belonged to a young man who died at the age of 21.  The saying was simple but made me choke on the incongruity.  It said, “David So-and-So, Daring and Lucky.”  How lucky could he have been if he died at such a young age?  Was he so daring that he did a stunt that landed him under the sod of Memory Gardens?  See what I mean—ironic.

 Sarah’s tribute from her family was true and poignant:  “Mother will live on through the actions of her children and by the state of her friends.”

Another devoted mother’s ever-lasting accolade read:
“Upright and faithful in all her ways,
a wonderful person to the end of her days,
a loving mother true and kind,
a beautiful memory she left behind.”

A gentleman had this engraved upon his head:
“God took him home,
It was His will,
But in our hearts,
He liveth still.”

Another couple’s children gave this eulogistic quote: “Together forever with a lifetime of golden memories.”  I’d would have put that on my own parents’ graves if I could.

A 59 year old semi-truck driver’s homage was more practical and accompanied by a picture of a big-rig.  It simply said, “On the road again.”

Another young man had this honor:  “His courage, His smile, His grace, Gladdened the Hearts of Those who had the Privilege of knowing him.”  I was told days earlier he had died of cancer.

A few blogs ago a wrote about Ethan, who always makes me smile, but I laugh when I read the back of his headstone:  “Our Little Worm….It’s a long way to the top if you want to Rock N’ Roll.”

On still another couple’s read granite headstone reads the familiar poem:
“Love bears all things,
Believes all things,
Endures all things,
Love is forever.
Love never fails.”
The postscript (the best part) lets the passer-by know the most important part:  “We’re good.”

I shall leave you with my favorite. 
 
Whenever I am too depressed to function, I find Marguerite’s stone—I know exactly where she lies—next to her son who died two days after her own passing.  This is a woman after my own heart.  Above the dates of her life it reads: 
“I told you I was sick.”

I would have believed you, Marguerite.  Perhaps I might have even taken you to the doctor.
 
I’m still laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment